Sunday, May 12, 2013

Panic and Mayhem

on May 10, 2013 a small group of civilians and emergency medical staff  were traumatically injured by two massive explosions at the St. George Police department shooting range. Some, including myself, were among the dead, and all were injured before the first explosion even took place.
I along with some other family members had the opportunity to participate in St. George Utah's Mass Casualty training incident. During a medical conference held by the Utah Association of EMT's. where a moderately sized group of people volunteered to paint on fake blood and guts to assist in the training of new EMS students. This year the incident was staged as a terrorist bombing not unlike the Boston Marathon Bombings, of course on a much smaller scale. This year's "victims" lost their limbs, suffered concussions, were impaled by pieces of shrapnel, and even suffered heart attack from the stress of the situation. I myself suffered from major internal bleeding. We were each caked with the appropriate make up and then told how to act based on our symptoms, I was told to sprawl myself on top of a large rock, as if the blast had thrown me on top of it, and then to complain allot about my stomach. If the EMS reacted properly by putting me on high transport priority then I would survive, if not, then I would die. Let's just say the first group of EMS student's saved my life, but tragically I did not make it through the second round because transport didn't arrive on the scene in time. It was allot of fun, especially since it took a good bit of acting and i haven't had the chance to do that for a long time. It was so realistic at one point, the children had some trouble distinguishing what was real and what was fake.

No comments:

Post a Comment